Monday 17 April 2006

Me and My Mama!


 Usually I don’t write my personal problems here. That’s because, after a while, I may adapt to problems and find out my own solutions or problems just vanish without me doing anything. (God always does his part well). But this seems to be something that hangs on to my conscience and not to my brain.


During my mentally growing up days (15-25), the relationship between my mom and me was always a strained one. We never got together well. I always quarreled with her(24 hrs a day!). I wanted freedom, and she wanted me to be protected always. As I didn’t have any siblings, I always craved to have the freedom of a boy. I didn’t know, what all is allowed for a girl and what not. In fact I didn’t know, where to draw the line. So my amma was always worried about my safety. And her over protectiveness irritated me to the core, sometimes pushing me even to a sort of violent behavior. For eg: if I wanted to go to the next post office, she MUST know, why!! I was never allowed to go to any of my friends’ houses and if they came to my house, my mom kept a watch over them, which made me REALLY maaaaaaaad!!! Also I had 2 ugly relationships, which broke my heart and made my mom very insecure about me. She didn’t trust me to land in another healthy relation.


 I have not so very warm relationship with my relatives, both my mom’s side and dad’s side and not to mention my hubby’s side. But I handle it tactfully, so that I keep away from very difficult ones and just smile and act-good with not so difficult ones. Problems started when I was 15, when I happened to hear my moms very close relatives and my dads very close relatives started bitching about my mom, in front of me. They actually pitied me, that I was “her” daughter. First few years, I didn’t understand what was going on, and considered my mom as my worst enemy, cos for me; she was the cause to hear all those nasty things from my “close” aunts.


But as years went by, and after I grew up,(after 12 yrs to be exact!! ) I came to know about the politics behind all those bitching and backstabbing and of course imaginative gossiping. (At that time, my dad was of little help to her!!!).


 I don’t know, in those days, how my mom stood alone in the sea of whole backstabbers both in my moms family and dads, considering even I was giving her a very bad time.  Now when I see sometimes, my mom getting insulted, I want to give that person, a piece of my mind, and there were lots of instances, when my mom pulled me back, saying that I must not spoil the relationship. Then I tell her, “amma, 13-14 yrs ago, I have heard those ppl telling things about you, that a child should never have heard. I cant forget it, till I am dead!”, and she says “its ok…leave it!”.


Now I can never ever forgive those ppl, (one character has even passed away, now), for what they did to my amma. So, what I do is non-co operation, in whatever ways I can. I just pull out myself, from any get together in family. Surprisingly, my mom drags me, saying, “Relationships are important”. I say “only, u, dad and my hubby” are my earthly relations. I don’t care about others, and she says its not like that. 


My amma is very ill for past 2-3 yrs, (result of 2 consecutive major surgeries!). When I am around I take her to hospital. I have taken her to hospital even at midnights, alone, in my car. She gets admitted to hospital almost once in every 2-3 months. Last month, while she was admitted, dad wanted to go home. Amma was given IV and I had to let the nurse know if she shivers (she has that probm). I dropped dad at home and came back .I was shuttling b/w hospital and home at 11 pm, 12 am, I am. Everybody in the hospital was wondering as me, a girl was driving at midnight thru the town, which is very bad at that hour. I sat near her bed and at 3:30am, when the IV bottle finished, I rang for the nurse. After that I went to the open parking lot, and lay down inside my car. (The ward didn’t have extra bed). I lay there looking at the open sky thru the car window, and wondered why I am not scared!


Next day when my mom woke up, her ward mates told her that she was lucky to have a daughter like me, who is almost a son. I was there, hearing it and my mom smiled. And then I thought  “nothing would compensate for the things that my mom did for me, on those dark days of our life. I was the worst daughter any mom could imagine, and will these minor things I do now, will compensate for all hose horrible things I did to her?”


I made my mom discharge from hospital and reached home. I thot mom would be upset that dad went home, after admitting her. But she didn’t. Later I overheard my dad telling amma “yesterday I understood, how much ur daughter loves you. She will give her life for you”, and again my mom just smiled.


When I was in Ireland, again she fell ill. That was my most painful time. I cursed myself for the first time, for coming to Ireland, leaving amma. I cried thru phone and my dad promised me, he will take her to hospital. But by Gods grace, her condition was better soon.


This is me and my mom….2 women, finally getting to know each others soul, and finally understanding each other even w/o uttering a word.


note: the pic is of me and my mom on my wedding day! btw, i have never told my amma that i love her, as far as i can remember, though i tried alot...

23 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful picture... Reading this I actually cried... Sounds somewhat like the relationship I have/had with my mother. I know you said you were an only child, but they say it's always the daughter who stays closest to the mother... My mother tells me now I am her only best friend. Tell your mom you love her... Even though I'm sure she knows already. :-) **HUGS**

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Amma" - the sweetest of the words...beautifully written. emotions flowed thru ur words..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the only touching article I've ever read on the blog...that its true helps..I really get to feel the intensity in those words.After a long long time, I've to admit, I had my eyes moist...not crying..but u know..

    May God bless ur mom and her only daughter with good health and happiness...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wedding snap is cool...

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice blog swathi.your mom should be proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Swathi,
    I don't know you but still I can understand what thoughts make you write what all you wrote.
    I feel that women have a immense power to bear what all is being thrown at them and still they attempt to be happy with what all they have.
    I have few observations to make:
    1) Your article describes a transition from a young immature girl to a mature girl. This is something that not many people are able to do. Keep it up! :)
    2) Go to your mom and learn how she has so patience and then share it with us :). I will strictly advise you to learn that characteristic of hers. You respect your mom a lot. Let that respect get transformed by inbibing her values and practises in you.
    3) You say you cannot forgive your relatives. That is part of our growth. Believe me the day you forgive those people you will feel as if have surpassed them in every non-materialistic they have. Forgiving is a art. The more time a person spend cursing people around, the more rotten he becomes - a personal experience. I did this and I gave it up. Now, I get a feeling that "they" are immature :)
    4) You say you love your mom and haven't told. With very positive intentions I want to tell you that don't make it any late now. It's a variation of a dialog from a Bollywood movie but it's true in real life - This life is too short for not admitting things that you really feel.Believe in your energy - call her .. meet her .. and tell her the same! :)

    I hope I have not talked a lot :)
    Good Luck!
    You are on a positive path :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even i never told my mom i love her. I neednt we both know that.
    And u r a sweeeeeet hrt.Hope ur mom recovers soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lisa------u very rite. every mom-daughter have this realtionship. they say daughters are more attached to dad, but after a certain age, we identify ourselves with mom and understand her more than anything. some times at nite, i open my door, and sneak into ammas bed, and lay there hugging her. (as if i feel shame to do that in daylight!). thanks Lisa..and **hugs**

    CNU---thanks alot........while i was typing , she asked me what i am typing. i told its about her..she thot i was kidding! LOL..


    Prasanth---thanks alot.....i am happy i was able to convey my feelings completely....

    btw, i write ONLY true incidents, (in my older blogs) abt my accident, my husband who admitted me to hospital during my wedding day, my grandpa who was my guiding light, my class mate who got killed,the skin color discrimination i had experienced etc...etc...later i thot too much sentimental is boring...

    and thanks for that wedding snap...

    pradeep-----amma always told others that i didnt care a &*^&*& about her. but now she never say that.....but she never boast abt my love...(its not evident, na?)

    shashank-----wow, urs is truly a very valuable comment. thanks alot for taking so much pain to write that much.
    1)did i become mature? not completely, i have still alot more to go...but yea, better late than never....

    2)ammas patience is immense. immense, means, very immense. main eg is she lived with the most diffclt ppl in this world me and my dad...believe me, if not ask my husband. he says my mom should be awarded for bearing my nature....

    3)i may forgive them, but now, i really cant. i dont take revenge, but i dont cooeperate with them. when ur 15, u dont know who is true and who is not. you may trust ur aunts, grannies etc, may be more than ur mom. and that was the mistake i did. and when i finally realised the truth, it was like......all those trust turned cmpletely into 100% hatred...
    but i am sure, in the long run, i would think they are NOT worth even for my hatred. why waste hatred on them? yeah? i dont curse hem, i just wont socilaise with them.

    4)to tell "i love you" to amma is veeeeeeeeeeeery diffclt. i am scared amma will laugh at me, after all those stupid things i did to her. so, i have kept mum, till now. after i left for Ireland, i very much want to spend each sec in India with amma. cos, i am scared....i want to make up for all the evil things i did to her, when she was young and healthy.

    and thanks alot....am very grateful to u..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very touching Swathi ... ur blog somewhat reminded me of myself as a kid, then a teenager, i was a very stubborn and adamant child and I always had these kind of tiffs with my mom too but now it all seems so stupid to me and my relationship with my mom is friendly and more open .. Now we are more of friends then a mother n daughter ... Our way of thinking changes as we grow old and we understand the importance of our mom and their valuble suggestions in our lives ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. BTW the picture is very nice....

    ReplyDelete
  11. another superbly written entry sis…. Brought tears to my eyes halfway thro… good to know u and ur mom are closer now…. And believe me…"I love you" IS the toughest thing to say to someone…atleast for me!!!! Take care sis!! I love my mom though... i never told her that.... but she knows... u can see it in her eyes........

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish i could write like u sis.... u've seen my blog na... i am BADDDDDDDDD

    ReplyDelete
  13. swathi,
    i love my dad , but u know i love my mum a lotttttt than that. what to do, i am poor at expression. my mum also thinks i love dad a lot. but i really loves her a lot....pray that one day she should understand that.
    grace n peace is clearly seen in aunty(ur mum) , as people praise ur mum, for u. people praise my dad, for having a daughter like me.ha...nice blog yar

    ReplyDelete
  14. ohh swathi......as i commented in ur prev blog again we r on da same boat yaar...i too hav atleast 1 fight a day with my mom....abt my frnds...n abt my parties n stuff.....n yep she too has faced a lot of bak stabbin from relatives (both mom n dad'd side) n she resisted all of it n she juss says 1 thing.."we dont hav to b like them...or else wotz da difference btw them n us"....n i luv her yaar a lot....last time i had left her n gone to delhi 4 15 days n i missed her a lotttttttttttttttttttt wen compared to all of my family members.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. yu are cool
    i salute yu for all this that happemd in yur life....

    ReplyDelete
  16. PREKRUTHI PDICHU CHUZHTTIDUM PRAKARAM SUKRUTHIKAL POLUMAHO
    CHUZHANNIDUNNU.
    Narayana Guru

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Swathi, its definitely well written coz u wrote frm ur heart :)... a touchy one... wot u wrote is very true wrt only daughters... wid ma Mum, I say "Love u Mumma",... "my Sweetheart", "Sweetu", "Janu", sometym I even call her "Janeymann", (I m too much pampered to shut up :D..) I also call her Mataji, Mum, Mom, Matrushree, Ammagaru (means Mataji(in Telugu)),... n lots more....

    Nice pic as d nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. So...finally the roles are swaped. You have become amma, and your amma became your daughter. That's life swathi!

    ReplyDelete
  20. swathzz...
    long time i didnt visit your blog....but you are great woman and your mom too sometimes we don't understand why our mom doin' like those hilarious stuff..but someday if you are there in their situations if you are became a mother you will understand why they are so very strict to us...there is a saying the.....MOTHER KNOWS BEST cheers to both you....

    advanced HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY TO YOU AND YOUR MOM....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh Swati u had reminding me also my teenage days...i was also same, but u know by the time now i realise how imp for my mom to tell those things in those days..very touchy...u bust out all ur emotions here...i always use to arguee with her avery now and then..even after my marriage...but i love her so much..i can't think myself with out her...i missed her more than anyone else...i hope she would be with me here soon as possible...

    Thansk for Emotional blog!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ginglee's World....28 June 2006 at 01:44

    SWATHI YOU ARE VERY CUTE.........AZAD

    ReplyDelete
  23. அஸோஸியேடட் கோவிந்த்12 July 2006 at 00:47

    amma ennu parayatha jeevan illa. even american cows spell the same. salutes to our beloved ma, amma.

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...