Saturday 29 April 2006

Bajaj---India's own !


Today me , dad and mom went to see a malayalam film "rasathanthram"---meaning chemistry. It was very unusual in the sense, it has been years since we went for a movie together. If I am in Ireland, mom and dad go together for a movie, in their 1980 model Bajaj Chetak(scooter)...may be to revive their young good old days of marriage. Even today while in car amma was asking dad that he should service our 1980 model "khataraa". She must be missing its youth !

 

I was 3 yrs old when dad bought that scooter. So he (or she?) is 25,now. Prime age for a man. But not so "prime" period for a scooter. I think Bajaj company even stopped its production of scooters. He may be the only specimen left now. When he was first brought home, his color was light-green (that was my moms favorite color...). By now I think, 3 times, dad made it re-painted.

 

When it first came home, I was so excited about it. My place was in the front, standing, with my head almost touching dad's chin. Later when my head grew taller than dad's chin level, my place was transferred to back seat, squeezed between mom and dad. I was sandwiched there, for nearly next 10yrs. Everywhere we went like that. Luckily (mostly due to sympathy) police didn't catch us, even for once, for taking overload!!

 

Its license number is KET 5277. Now, the license numbers in Kerala start with KL. We have never faced an accident with this sweetheart of a scooter (touchwood!). After these successful 25 yrs, he has never given dad, even a starting trouble. In early days, it was a ritual for me and dad to wash it, every alternate day. I was made to wash the tyres, as only my hand could go inside the narrow space b/w tyre and mud-guard! (I was 4 then). Now I think the only times he feels water is when there is a drizzle. (poor thing, so much for 25 yrs of faithfulness!)

 

Now its color is a form of grey(actually, I am not so sure, as the color blends with the atmosphere, so that it makes it difficult to identify it). Now when I travel in it, and when we hit the humps in roads and of course pot holes, I find myself  in a bone-rattling situation. (shock absorber is almost nil!).

 

There was once a time, when I played with it for hrs, when dad put it in the stand. (at that time, it could bear my weight, even while in stand). And one day it made me aware that I was overgrown to play with it, by falling side ways on my leg! Boy! That was really a hell load of a weight. My leg was in cast for weeks.

 

 

It saw me grow..it saw us change houses and now its with us in our own house...(still, he doesn't have his own shed or even a shack !). Amma loves him and dad trusts him, more than himself. Now we don't take over load in it. Its either dad and me / dad or mom.

 

But sometimes I think, if he could speak, he must have told whole family history. Of a girl of 3 yrs whom he carried for a whole damn 25 yrs ; who loved him at the beginning and conveniently forgot his existence (along with so many other things!) , in the process of growing up.

19 comments:

  1. :)...thts must now be an antique..:D...neways its now part of ur family...take gud care of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is nice to keep such things around..always brings a smile and fond memories.

    by the way, how was the moive ?

    It hasnt released yet in madras. last week we went and saw Pachakuthira..... was a big bore. Waiting for some better malayalam movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the story of the Bajaj scooter. We all have such 'parts of the family', but most of us never take the time to step back and appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 20 years old ind suzki bike. your blog reminds that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess bajaj make is damn good considering the fact that, most of the people whom i know who owned this never had any probs with it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Swathi,

    Thanks for sharing your days with your great companion!! Bajaj Chetak!! Good promotional Ad for Bajaj.

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice blog swathi.

    yup it has become a part of ur family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes...its a part of ur family now....me i m missing my Scouty now...

    Anyway....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good old memories are always good 'rasathanthirams'. There is no chemistry equalant to our old memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Swathi, I got a cheque from Rahul Bajaj..he has asked me to forward it to u.......

    Boootiful 'biography' of the scooter...sometimes, we lose track which is animate and which is inanimate. Often the nonliving things seem to show more human-like charatacter than 'real' human beings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sweet memories ... hmmm esp this Bajaj scooter was a part of most of the families in those days. I used to love that Ad from Bajaj ... where the jingle goes as ... 'Umang bharath ki umang tasveer .. Hamara Bajaj' (I m not sure of the lines) I really love the way ad is presented. I too had sweet memories with it ... my 'chota da' (my dad's younger bro) used to have Bajaj (note sure abt the model) and he used to drop me and kids to school everyday and u know howmany were we? totally 6 including my chota da. Unbelieveable isn't it? but its true. He had a big carrier to hang the bags .... thats was sweet .. haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. I got to know rather learn about Bajaj scooter :)

    My attachment is with Kinetic Honda on which I learnd my drivin n its ma precious possesion :D

    Nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a nicely written Blog. It really made me remind of the Luna super my father bought while i was studying in class 5th..

    Your writings have definitely a great expression, Swati. hats off

    ReplyDelete
  14. Swathi...plz check ur message box!

    ReplyDelete
  15. JYOTHI----yea, it sure is...and we r taking good care....

    CK---movie was good, except for that mohan lal looks very old and over weight...

    MANOJ---sometimes, thinking about simple things in life, really helps...

    SEKHAR---thats great!

    ASWATHY---yea...when all these MNC's came and our own Indian industries(bajaj, HMT etc) couldnt keep up with their extravagant promos...

    MADDY---thanks maddy..will mail this to Rahul Bajaj!

    PRADEEP---thanks alot...yea it has...

    ANU---isnt i nice to sit and think about those silly things w/o which our life would have been incomplete?

    SELVA---yea....very true...good chemistry theory!

    PRASANTH---oh! i was expecing it! he had told me , he will send it thru u....

    as u have said, if non living things could talk, then living things wouldnt be the same any more!!!

    MAHESH---yea, u r very very correct. even i remember the ad...it gave me an unknown patriotic feeling, even at that young age!!! bajaj scooter really had a very high capacity! now its place is taken by maruti800, the common vehicle for the common man.

    HONEY---thanks dear...

    PIYUSH---thanks alot..thanks again....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dont write these things in blogs...Movie makers are on prawl..They might take this and make a movie. You would get to play the role of the scooter's little friend who started caring/cleaning the scooter at the age of 4 and finally rejected him, but the intelligent scooter gave you a broken leg as a revenge.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Btw...how was the movie...rasathanthram?

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh! u just gave me an excellent business idea....lemme ask shaji kailas (or david dhawan...he seems perfect!)...and before that i have to register the copyight of that idea, na....oh! got to get busy.....btw, in return , shall i give u a small role, in the film....???


    "rasathanthram" was a good movie. Only thing is that mohanlal with his present body mass index, looks like meera jasmines uncle (some says father....dont bother!)...film as a whole is good entertainer..will give 8/10...(i know thats a bit too high, but i am being lenient!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Small role?? are u kiddin? I only take big roles..
    ***calling spielberg***
    ME: Dei.Speilberg..someone's insulting me..make a story/movie for me
    SS: Yes Sir
    Me: OK..call me later when its done***Hangs up the phone**

    SO sorry swathi, got to get busy in SS's next movie..

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...