Tuesday 21 August 2007

Visiting London and a Londoner!

Finally, finally I am back after having a crash-holiday in London for 5 days, from 12th till 16 August. When I reached my home in Ireland at 9 pm on 16th, I thought my limbs have stopped working. It ached and ached and finally it cut off my circulation giving way to numbness. I had so much planned to see in so few days time that in order to squeeze at least half of what I wanted to see into the travel plan, we had to run from one tube station to another, like most of the working Londoners. Fortunately the (in) famous London weather didn’t ditch me. Thank God for that!

It’s almost impossible to post all the photos, because I have nearly 1000 photos spread across three digital cameras. Still, I have to say that the most wanted photos didn’t turn up good. That includes the one I badly wanted to post here… my meeting with my blogfriend from London – Mina.

I messaged her as soon as I reached London and gave her my hotel number and room no, so that she could call me. She called and we talked and talked and talked. She had such soft and polite voice that suddenly I thought that may be all Londoners were as soft and polite as she was, whereas I sounded like the good old loud Irish/Indian! LOL…I think I talked with her thru phone for nearly one hr, the first day. Honestly it was non-stop talking from my side. We planned to meet up on Tuesday, Aug 14th.

The things that happened on Aug 13, Monday includes, me getting lost in Victoria tube station in the mad rush. Next thing was I slipped and almost fell on the never ending 60 mph speeding escalator. The weird thing was that in that escalator you have to stand always on the right side. Else others who are running thru that over-speeding escalator will push you in the rush and before you know you will be lost in the stampede, fighting for your dear life. I thought this desperate rush was the most ridiculous thing I ever saw. There were trains every single minute to all stations in central London and people were running as if they were chasing their lives!!

First day I really couldn’t accept the mad rush of the people all around me. When I almost wanted to go back, my husband and later Mina sworn on their lives that London is not as bad as Mumbai, in terms of rush. That made me a little calmer! LOL…

As this blog is only about my meeting with Mina, I am skipping all my other (mis)adventures. Anyway we planned to meet up in Russel Square underground station, as it was only 5 mts walk from Mina’s office. One of the best things in London is that with a single travel card for 24 hrs(6 pounds) we can travel anywhere in Central London thru metro, national rail and bus, without any additional charge. After meeting Shail aunty, my husband had started trusting my blogfriends. So, it was easier this time to convince him, about meeting a stranger-friend.

Mina was the first one to identify me. She came running and hugged me and only then I found that it was Mina. (Some times with my eyesight I can’t even say whether my husband is laughing or scowling at me!). We chatted and chatted like long lost friends. She wanted to have tea with us. But with just 2 more hrs for the London Aquarium to close, we didn’t have much time with the tickets already taken. I told her that I came there “just to see her”. I promised that I will be visiting London soon, most probably in December when we have almost 10 days holidays. (Mina, yes, I mean it).

My husband took our photo. I don’t know what he did with the camera, despite the sunny sky, warm weather and high resolution cameras, my husband somehow managed to turn night vision ON, and that too in 3 pm broad light…and that explains the quality of pictures.. Also he made us pose for a life time, that finally I got fed up, and managed a frown when he snapped!


Manju, thanks for asking me to meet Mina. She was one of the nicest women I have ever met! Soft, polite, and soo… soo… nice!!!


32 comments:

  1. Wow what a lovely pic of the two of you..was waiting for this blog..now to read it all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippeee FTC too ;-)...oky one more comment coming from me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Swati, the picture looks just fine to me...you are not frowning but you look like you were about to say something....politely telling him, if he takes any longer..well 'vivarum ariyum'!!!..lol...So glad you gals met...all this bloggers meet in real life leaves a warm fuzzy feeling suffuse me..........Hey how come nobody visits Singapore, I thought it was one of the worlds favourite tourist spots.

    I agree Mina is very soft spoken, warm and a great listener, which 'chatterboxes' like us just lurrrve to have around us, don't we Swati? Waiting to hear more about your Londonium trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some grammatical misshhtakes there..please ignore..was too excited........

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omigosh.. you've posted it! I'd better post mine now..! And hugs for all the wonderful things you've said about me.. I'm blushing now... Hugs hugs hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh interested to know how ur hubby killed his time, during all ur chatting...

    well dadar , sion station are very bad even at 10 pm..i wish u experience those also...

    ReplyDelete
  7. AS I was reading about the London Tubes, I was thinking, "Maybe she hasn't been through Mumbai...", and there it was!
    Great that you two met. Every post on a blogger meet excites me! Mina does sound like a must meet. Somehow the opportunity eluded us, eh!
    Some of us are thinking of another 'Blogger Meet' like last year, perhaps again at Bangalore. Brenny might be able to join in... detai;s are yet to be worked out, but likely that it will be last week of October.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a great meeting. It remembers me my email friend Nandhakumar, whom I met him with his family in Singapore in 2000.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Let me answer Raj's question.. Actually Sajiv did as much chatting as Swathi - I don't think we left him out did we Swats?

    Just reading Sankaran's comments here - a blogger meet in Bangalore? I have two wonderful blogger friends there I know I want to meet. Sounds like a neat idea. But Swathi over to mine in December first!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Manju darling.. me and thee already have a date cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, Raj(sunder), my hubby was equally competing with me to chat with Mina... i think she is 'chat-irresistible'.. in fact i had to cut him down so that i can chat with her....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooo.. I'm filling your comments in this blog! I just wanted say, I was wearing a black top that day and am still intrigued by how it has come up green!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mina, see my camcoder bag? it WAS also black.. in the photo its also green....
    i think it exactly matches ur top! LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow..blog friends meeting each other. I'm gonna meet a blog friend soon too..and that too on her wedding.
    Hope you went to madama tussauds.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL.. Love the pic, even if you don't like it! :D You are lucky that you gotta meet another blog friend. London must have been fun.. Mmmm.. I remember a lil of Bombay, so I'm trying to imagine a British New York City.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Swathi, just came back up from cooking, to so many comments.. I can't say I've had so many in such a short space of time. Yeah.. I noticed the camcorder bag too - interesting that your top kept its colour but camerabag and I changed! Next time, regardless, we'll be better prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a nice photo, not technically but the two of you look nice. Thanks for the info I 'll remind myself not to visit London cos of the rush (hush not the value of the pound). Great to read your blog, and Hi Mina we've not met though I seen your pic on Shankaran's page.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Swathi,
    It seems the world must be waiting for you to return from you holidays & hear about your amazing holiday experience.One feels warm & good when two friends finally end up meeting each other.
    I believe anyone who must have lived in Mumbai or tried commuting like the way I do everyday, nothing can ever be worse than this.
    Anycase I am very eagar to hear much more about ur entire holiday episodes to get penned in finally.
    God Bless.....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice to know you met another blog friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thats great...An Irish Lady meeting a London Lady in London but sharing the same roots.....Wonderful......and the reason hubby had night vision on....hmmmmm possibly sparks flew around u guys...lol

    And Swathi possibly the reason hubby took so long to click that snap was the same reason as yours....When you were smiling he thought you were frowning....and when ultimately your smile became a frown he thought haaaa...at last she smiled and clicked....
    and Mina sure she is one happy girl.....

    And now let me hop to Mina's page

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kollallo Videon.....

    5 days not enough to cover London!!!! So London ennae picha chatti eduppikkunna lakshanam kanunnu... danger danger... *seeing red*

    and congrats on meeting Mina... Nice to learn about your meeting. and regarding the picture... though taken in night mode and you frowning (is that expression called a frown? nyways since you say so...) the picture looks good.. and both of u look dashing...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Appol shrinking tell (Churukki paranjal) randu perum koodi paavam mina ye kathi vechu nashippichu alle??? Paavam Mina...

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow, that sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If Mina's top was black; I wonder what color was your top, which is looking black in the pic?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a lovely account of meeting a fellow 360ian !!! you have described it so well and the picture is perfect. The best Picture of Mina that I have seen on her page besides the B&W one. And that frown, as you call it is not a frown at all. it appears so natural.

    BTW, did you miss the National Gallery? And the Tate Modern?

    Love to see all the 1000 odd pics. juet let me know when u upload it.

    Vinod

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good to hear of your meeting Mina!I still remember the great rain dance party she hosted.
    And you don't seem to be frowning in the pic, only a little impatient.Waiting to hear more of your London adventures!:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Nothing like meeting a good friend in a new place. I guess your hubby was just waiting to get the right pose & when he got it, he simply clicked! That's a good picture, Swathi. Nice & interesting read about your London trip.

    ReplyDelete
  28. that foto aint tht bad girl....looks like u've done some sp. effect!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  29. How wonderful that you were able to meet a 360 friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am really really happy for u guys and i wish and pray that u guys meet up again in December to spend more time and have some more fun and dont u forget or hesitate to post a blog abt that. life is once... so live it and plz share the happiness with others too which most ppl dont do. Thanks for sharing this with us swat. Really sweet of u :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thats so wonderful to know dear, it was a gt8 read...
    God bless u all :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. A blogger's meet! I love those... now when are you two ae flying to California??

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...