Wednesday 1 March 2006

Eve-Teasing? (from my neighbors)


Its been a while since, I experienced eve-teasing. Mainly cos, I no longer use public transport systems and never use “walking” as the main means of transport, since 2.5 yrs. But ironically, now I have become its “prey” ever since my walking-exercise-regime has started.Image I chose, secluded, local routes, away from main road, which consist of houses on both sides, which don’t have compound walls. This creates an awkward interpersonal stare between the people who will be strolling in and around their wall-less-compounds and me, who walks panting, thru the same.  Image


 


As they found me regularly, yesterday 2 different (inquisitive)ppl  from 2 houses, asked me, “who I am” (which I hated to answer!!!).Image I wanted to change the route today, but I was not very sure, where the other route,(which seems to be going much deeply into the compounds) would take me. Cos if I get lost, then I may have to give them my whole biodata, and even my purpose of walking (which I have to lie), to the inhabitants.Image(Villagers, are very very inquisitive(not like city-dwellers!). They think its their right to know, who u r and why u r there).Image


 


Now there was this bunch of guys(18-22 yrs) permanently seated around a secluded corner. They always commented on me something, whenever I passed…but yesterday when I passed, they were asking each other “Who is this, wet-chicken??”Image. (Ok, my short-hair, looks cow-licked, just after bath!!)


 


Now, I was in a situation, that:


1)     I was alone, and a stranger there.


2)     The time was 7 pm and there were no street-lights.


3)     The local guys are supposed to be known for their “gundaism”.


4)     I didn’t know the local routes well.


5)     Above all, my mom had strictly warned me against this, which I conveniently didn’t care to obey.Image


 


I am/was never this “sati-savitri” type. At least not like the women we see in hindi daily soaps. I never put this “thali”/”mangalyasutra” or kumkum, (visible features of a married woman). I only had this wedding ring (which nobody noticed).  Image


 


Now today, naturally, I didn’t want to invite more comments from them. So I decided to give a try by putting on “married-woman-act”. I put this kumkum on my forehead and “thali” and went. And today when I passed, the comment was “How come she got married, within one day,yaar?”----but only after a very long silence. (may be they didn’t expect, this “act”. )Image


 


Any way that was better, I suppose…cos today one of the guys addressed me “chechi” , which means, elder sister, in malayalam.


Tomorrow, may be , things can turn  little more better, I hope!


 


Note: This act seems to change only young eve-teasers. The middle-aged, “starers” doesn’t care…they are continuing with their “clothe-piercing-stare”!Image I think , noisy, young eve-teasers are more cultured than those “silent-starers”!Image


 



See  this   on “The Hindu” (India's national daily) abt the above phenomenon in my god’s-own-country.


 

24 comments:

  1. Dear SiSter

    Please take care of urself..... surely u could walk around within your own compound or something.... It is certainly not advisable to roam around alone... especially at night... Men are mean... especially in groups....
    Just think that u have got ur visa..and wud be leaving to Ireland soon.... WHy take last minute pangas... roaming around.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Act Swathi !! but why take risks ??? Its the most common problem esp in rural and semi-urbans, unless the people change, they society won't ... so forget them for instance and take care ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. roshan, thanks alot for ur concern!! i know, u mean ONLY good to me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. mahesh....thanks alot, for ur concern..u r rite..i have to be more careful..

    ReplyDelete
  5. from wet chicken to chechi in one day. your local rowdies seem to be good guys, atleast they are considering married women as sisters. of course your innocent smile can even melt rocks, those are simple men.

    but see our capital delhi, seems like men there dont have respect for women, i read about a rape every few days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you write about here sounds so much like what we (Christine mainly) had to endure down south (North Carolina). I am so glad we are out of there though, because it was only getting worse instead of better. Take care and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cheachi,

    i laughed alot after reading this blog.....
    wat u written is really very true....
    hahhaahah
    i am missing my freinds and the fun .......hah
    malayalies payanmar entha enganae ?????

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol swathi this happens on every place and culdnt stop lauffin when i see lot of friends advising.lol.but i tell u.u can trust those guys rather than some nice talking dude.if u get in to some problem they wuld be the first person to help u.its general pshycology.
    between i think its better,imagine a guy alone infront of group of gals my god he has to run to save himself.lol.now a days guys has to safeguard themselves.lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. gud tht u wore ur mangala sutram..n went...n lol b careful....dont try to b toooo adventurous..coz u dunno wot can happen da next moment...take care..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. well swati i dont feel like advising u or even telling u to be careful. But i know its the worst condition in india when a woman moves out even at 7 pm for just a stroll. The men love to tease around, huh will the men folk ever improve in our country. Their taste and smell so strong just for skin sake.huh will it ever stop??? huh im sorry if i have been rude in my comment. But dear its just my VIEW ;) and psst... the reality too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Swathi, I emphatise with u... this is the prob with urban places too... sometimes it is easier to deal with uneducated than those of educated fools... well, u can see eve-teasing even in a very heavy traffic on road... but yep, ur idea was gud :) Take Care... (n better to follow ur Mum's advice :), I feel)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh chechi......is it you...(Thank god u didn't recognised me)!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Silent starers!!! OMG.... They stare and kill people! Thats what I say.

    The worst thing is that even if you go anywhere with each and every inch of your body covered by wearing loose clothes.... still they stare!

    If its singular STARE Attack, usually counter-attack of the same medicine can sort out the situation. But teh problem happens when there is a group. Then only remedies like the trick which you tried will help, I guess!
    *phew*

    ReplyDelete
  14. oo tat bad .wat to do kerala guys sometimes are like this

    btw swathi chechi became swathi savitri oops!!sathi savitri coz of them =))

    i laughed readin the blog but agree its bad i mean tooo bad

    ReplyDelete
  15. Swathi, I had a friend who felt so cool,courageous,adventurous during our college days.One day this guy happened to be alone in a Women's college busstop.Lot of girls came to busstop and started teasing this guy. One girl told the other " hey, see this guy!!!, he forget to zip his pants" and the laughter echoed on the air.Do you think this guy was there after that!! Next auto was his catch.

    Why i am telling this story is, most of the young people(either sex) tease to make fun out of the situation, and that's the age factor. But not so bad as you can see for yourself, when someone called"Chechi" after seeing your Thali. You have to worry about the so called Grown-up only. Take care!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oye! What did u mean by ONLY....? anyways... u r quite smart .... with the married woman act....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please don't take risk...women are never safe alone at night time...in any country...can't trust people easily....

    nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. chechi, teh silent stares are mor edangrous than the "piller - set". it is safe to choose a l'lle crowded route, and yeah - eve teasing is a nagging problem.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  19. ;) Ive faced a lot of eve teasing as you did! whether you travel by PTC or by four wheeler or walk or run, it's all the same for those lousy fellows..Had tough times with them, all I do is give a stare, wait, call and ask what they actually want! and swathi "chechi", you goto be careful yaar! where ever you are! being alert is most important!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hehe... we didnt know that angelina jolie writes blogs and that too so well.

    Yuo could have put arundati roy's pic there.

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey swathi, its just for fun. they are usually harmless. i have sweated in front of a women's college (assumption, changanacherry), when i had to go to a church in front of the girls hostel. i was alone.. and a group of girls from the hostel were standin there. they passed a lot of comments about me.. and i was flying from there. but.. when i think about it later.. its fun.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Swathi, it was fun reading your blog...but its not fun enduring the stares, for sure. I know exactly what you mean. Afterall, am I also not from God's Own Country!?I have been brooding over just this sublect for one of my blogs...You will be seeing it shortly.
    I do agree with Pradeep though; the younger set do help,... and what Aswathy says holds too. Even though you are covered from head to toe....!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Swathi....The good old India & its eve teasers....Hey,I was stunned to read ur Newspaper....Bcoz Dr.Suraraj Mani,the Psycologist mentioned in there was Dead yrs ago.Later when I looked at the date ,then only I understood......

    ReplyDelete
  24. I read all your comments before writing mine but, when I visit India I go through the same crap. And the only person in this entire list of people commenting who echoed my say was Janu. I usually turn around and yell at em' saying the typical stuff as in no sisters eh?? I know it's corny but wards em' off. Be brave and confront em', as soon as they hear you scream to em' they amazingly turn away and are extremely ignorant of you! :))

    ReplyDelete

Featured post

The diary of a working mommy....

Ok, this is about the woes of being a working mommy. Now before other mommies who work at home abuse me, I want to make myself clear that wh...